Meg's Reviews > Rosemary and Rue

Read in August, 2012

Rosemary and Rue
OR
Fairies Making Poor Life Choices

I was dubious about reading this one because it looked like a novel with a sad character being dark and sad. I wasn't entirely off point! Compared to Discount Armageddon, this book is a lot darker in tone and story. But that isn't a bad thing, because the October Daye books focus on fairies, proper traditional fairies. Which means a fair amount of darkness and a lot of people whose lives are getting screwed over.

The writing is dense and difficult to navigate at points. I struggled to get through it at points. But the characters and the world that were built really shine. There's a vividness and a level of detail that Seanan McGuire brings to her writing that is truly exemplar. I adore the opening of this book and where that starts our heroine, though I could do with October showing a little bit more brain than she does.

Overall, I give this novel a pass because it is an early novel. Personally, I prefer the Incryptid series to the October Daye novels, as I like my stories more light hearted and with a good dose of humor. But I can see the charm in these and recommend them to anyone who likes a darker breed of magic.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rosemary and Rue.