Dave Tuck's Reviews > What Dies in Summer

What Dies in Summer by Tom   Wright

Sep 05, 12

Read from September 02 to 05, 2012

I seem to have enjoyed this more than previous reviewers. I've noticed many referring to the serial killer storyline but to focus on that detracts from the real story which is the central character's development and loss of innocence.

Biscuit has had a difficult life, his Mum is alive but he lives with his Gram and shortly his cousin L.A joins them. Along with his girlfriend Diane these are 3 main people in Biscuit's life and it's his conflicted feelings about being the only man and protector while also feeling like he fails them that make Biscuit so endearing. I found that because Biscuit cared for these 3 I also cared for their fates as the novel built to it's tense climax.

As a narrator Biscuit is disarmingly honest and this helps draw you into his world. As other reviewers have previously noted, the South really comes across in reading and the dialogue is great.

Where this novel falls down is that there some promising moments that never quite develop or add to the depth as they should. I felt more could have been made of Biscuit's elderly doctor friend for example.

Probably closer to 3.5 than 4, I found this to be a quick and enjoyable read. A good summer read and I look forward to more from the same author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Dies in Summer.