Jonathon Dunstan's Reviews > The Rook

3119615
Sep 02, 12

bookshelves: favourites
Read on September 02, 2012, read count: 1

I don't normally read modern day fantasy. But I found myself drawn to this book for some reason. I read the back cover, and while it depicts an interesting scenario told me next to nothing about what this story would entail. I took a chance on it and started this novel hesitantly. I was immediately intrigued and from the opening page, I found myself instantly compelled to read the next page and the one after that until I had finished the novel, regardless of what I had planned to do in real life. I finished it completely in one day. And then felt compelled enough to write a review of this excellent novel straight away. Whether you are a fan of fantasy, the supernatural, secret agents, espionage, or none of these, you couldn't choose a better world to escape to. 5 stars for Daniel O'Malley

Don't be fooled by blurb, this is not a tale of a person with no memory following a series of letters to discover some secret (sort of like that Ben Affeck movie).
Whilst our protagonist does get some help from her former self in avoiding immediate danger, she is left to tackle the challenge of stepping into her own shoes on her own. Doing so with nothing but her innate abilities, a dossier on this top secret organisation and a series of letters from herself describing her role and events in the lead up to her loss of memory.

She knew this was coming, but not how or why? Or even specifically when? Just that it was. And Myfawny Thomas (pronounced Miffany) had given everything she could to giving her new self a fighting chance at surviving in her new life.

This is a must read novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rook.