Renae Sattazahn's Reviews > Glamorous Illusions

Glamorous Illusions by Lisa Tawn Bergren

Sep 02, 2012

liked it
Read in June, 2012

"Glamorous Illusions" is a women's Christian historical fiction novel written by Lisa Bergren, known famously for her Little Cub children's books. You might recognizer her name from such books as "God Gave Us You," "God Gave Us Two," "God Gave Us Love," and many more.
This novel centers around Cora Diehl, who learns that the father she has known her entire life adopted her, and that she is actually the illegitimate daughter of a well-known copper king. I genuinely enjoyed the characters in the book, and very much appreciate the author creating flaws within the characters to emphasize their humanness. Lisa did a fantastic job with every character.
Cora is transported to a small town where she meets her half-siblings and joins them on a Grand Tour of Europe. I consider this a strong start to the novel. There is a lot of potential for plot, but I thought we spent quite a bit reading time focusing on the changing setting.
After reading "Glamorous Illusions," I can tell that children's books are her sweet spot. The story line was lacking in interest, and the excitement at the end (in my opinion) should have been drawn out longer. The deal-breaker for me was the ending. I had no more told my husband "The book just got good!" and within a couple minutes it was over. I couldn't believe it! It was as if the back pages were missing. (In a traditional book you know the ending is coming, because you notice only a few pages left. I was using an e-reader, and had lost track of where in the book I was picking up from. I didn't realize I was nearing the end until it was over.)
My recommendation is to write in more dialogue between characters and start the excitement much earlier in the book. The ending did not resolve, and I was left completely hanging. Even pieces of a series should provide a sense resolution when you finish the novel. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough suspense to tempt me to read the second book in the series.
I believe this author is exceptionally talented and has a lot to offer the world of Christian fiction. Because of this, I look forward to seeing some changes in future novels. Lisa T. Bergren will continue to have our business, since we adore her children's books. I highly recommend them to every family.
This was a complimentary copy from the publisher in exchange for an unbiased review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Glamorous Illusions.