Eric's Reviews > Alan's War: The Memories of G.I. Alan Cope

Alan's War by Emmanuel Guibert

Dec 21, 08

A graphic novel isn't normally the thing I would add to Goodreads but as it is a memoir and over 300 pages and took me nearly as long to read as Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers I figured I would. Alan's War is the memoir of Alan Cope, a WW2 vet who Guibert met in the mid-90's. Guibert recorded Cope talking about what he remembered of his experiences during the war and illustrated them. This is the result. Its very different from any other war memoir I've read. Cope spent the war away from the front thus there's very little of what I've read and seen in other war stories. But the book covers more than the war It starts when he is 18 and joins the Army and follows his life after the war as well. Its an incredibly humane look at war and has a gentleness one doesn't see in war memoirs. Guibert's style of drawing complements Cope's words nicely. Both are simple and undramatic. This is a book to be read slowly. There's a lot going on in it despite the fact that very little happens. There's no great battles, no thrilling climaxes. Its a series of stories or anecdotes about his life and the war. I would recommend this to anyone who reads WW2 books. Don't let the graphicness of it stop you from reading it. This is not like any comic or graphic novel I've seen before.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alan's War.