Sophia's Reviews > A Wild Night's Bride

A Wild Night's Bride by Victoria Vane

Sep 02, 2012

bookshelves: historical-romance, review-requests
Read in August, 2012

A Wild Night's Bride is a sassy Georgian romp that was a lusty adventure from beginning to end. It' a story that's meant to be over the top and can't be taken to seriously or the enjoyment is lost. I love these style stories and settled in for a fun read in which I wasn't disappointed when I finished the last page.

The story starts with two separate story threads. The first thread is about a struggling actress, Phoebe Scott, whose life is wrapped in some secret shame. Though she is young, she knows what it takes to get ahead in the theater world of that time and for her livelihood she must do it. Phoebe's theater is closed for renovations so with the help of a kind wardrobe mistress she sets out to find a long term protector who will hopefully keep her through the months of the theater's closure and sponsor her during the next season. Phoebe has her mind set on Lord DeVere known as the Devil. He will be at a bawdy house Masque party so there she will take herself.

The second story line follows Sir Edward Chambers who is a quiet, serious man still mourning his wife's death. He has come up to London to arrange for the lease of a home to prepare for his grown daughter's launch into society. He falls in with his long time friend, De Vere, who insists that he learn to live a little and come to a wild party with him. Ned follows reluctantly behind his friend who immerses himself in playful debauchery that is not quite Ned's thing though he is sorely tempted when he meets the delectable Kitty (Phoebe in character and disguise).

During the night, Phoebe and Ned Chambers cross paths and look to part again, but then the fun really begins when their path intersects with DeVere who decides to work his devilish wiles by using them to alleviate his boredom. DeVere makes a bet that takes the three of them into the palace- into the King's bedchamber to be exact. It ends with a passionate romp that changes everything for Ned and Phoebe and lands them all into the trouble that DeVere excels at.

The story is short and moves along at a quick pace. Most of the plot is resolved in one night with the very end leaving a large dangling thread that will continue in the next book. The plot is pretty straight forward and focuses on the shenanigans and fun the three main characters get up to in true Georgian fashion.

Speaking of true Georgian, the backdrop of the story is authentic without taking the focus from the plot.

As to characters, I liked what I saw in the brief time that I had with them. DeVere is wreathed in mystery to me and I can't wait to see more of him in the stories to come. Phoebe and Ned were easier to read even if I was startled at how quickly Phoebe accepted her role with daring do(let's just say I was impressed with her pragmatic spirit when she realized what she lengths she would have to go to for a starring role and she went about it). Phoebe and Ned were combustible together and I was happy for them.

Nice start to a series and I can't wait to see what the Devil DeVere's antics lead to next with the more formidable lady I met at the end of the story. I recommend this to all those who enjoy their historical romances on the spicier side.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Wild Night's Bride.