Kris's Reviews > Glass Heart

Glass Heart by Amy Garvey

Sep 07, 12

bookshelves: review-copy, paranormal, books-reviewed
Read from September 02 to 03, 2012

I really liked Cold Kiss, so I wasn't sure if I was ready for Glass Heart, especially since the synopsis makes it obvious that this book explores Wren's powers more in-depth. I know. I tend to like books with magic and supernatural elements, but Cold Kiss was so focused on the emotions that I wasn't sure if I wanted to explore more of the magic side. I kind of liked being mystified by it. This book is so diferent from the first book where the magic was so secret and not as prevalent as in Cold Kiss.

Nevertheless, I did end up enjoying it in its own way. Wren needs this book to explore her abilities without being afraid that her mom would disprove of it. It gives her the chance to figure out who she wants to be and what her abilities shouldn't be used for. It also gives her the chance to figure out her relationship with Gabriel.

Cold Kiss was about the emotions. Glass Heart is about Wren's growing powers. We all know the saying, "With great power comes great responsibility." Well, it also comes with a thirst for power and the desire to test the limits. Wren begins using her powers outside of the house, deluding herself into thinking that no one will see--or that if they do see, they'll think their eyes were playing tricks on them. It lands her into a load of trouble and gets her into fights with Gabriel over her misuse of her powers.

So, yes, Wren annoyed me for much of this book. She no longer has Danny as an excuse to be unhappy or the wreckage of her life; rather, she's supposed to be happy. She has the sweetest boyfriend ever (who I seriously want to steal), and she abuses him emotionally because she's afraid that he's going to turn out to be a dream and because she's afraid to listen to his voice of reason. I do understand why she's afraid though. It's the whole reason for this book--so that Wren can mature and find her place in life. Through all this, Gabriel remains understanding, giving her nothing but unconditional love and only raising his voice when she really pushes things too far. Wren is so, so lucky to have him.

Overall, I adored this book and will definitely be reading Amy Garvey's next book!

On a side note: Amy Garvey is pretty lucky with covers. Honestly, I'm not much of a fan of covers that zoom in on faces, but that's because they're just faces and they tell us nothing about the story. With the Cold Kiss books, however, the faces aren't just faces. They have pretty magical light colors, and they do tell us about the stories. Cold Kiss is about Wren's inability to let go of her boyfriend, whom she's brought back from the dead. Glass Heart is about Wren's fragility now that she's begun exploring her powers.

For more of my reviews, visit my blog Imaginary Reads.
Imaginary Reads
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Glass Heart.

09/03/2012 "Gabriel is sooo sweet. May I please steal him?"
09/03/2012
68.0% "Robin's adorable. I have a sibling as well, and I know how much of a pain they can be. How much you want to annoy each other so much of the time. And how much you care about them."
09/03/2012
68.0% "Gabriel has the silliest dreams sometimes, but so sweet."
09/03/2012
68.0% "Finiiisssheed!!! Really wish there was more."
show 1 hidden update…