Rachelle's Reviews > Among the Hidden

Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix

Dec 20, 2008

liked it
Read in December, 2008

This is a decent book about a fictional community where the government controls everything. The people are only allowed to have 2 children so anything after 2 they hide them. This is a story about a boy that has been hidden his entire life and find out that there are other hidden children out there as well. He meets a girl and they become friends.
I have mixed feelings about this book. The reason I read it was because a friend of mine asked me about it. Her 11 year-old son read it and he was upset and sad about some things in the book. She was kind of shocked and upset that he read such a book. So I read the book as a favor to her to see what kind of book it really was. So I honestly cannot say if I think it is appropriate for 11 year-olds. I probably would let mine read it but now that she has brought it to my attention I am kind of hesitant about what I really think.
Don't know if that made any sense at all-Sorry..

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Among the Hidden.

10/17/2016 marked as: read

Cassie I completely agreee with you and your friend on being wary of this book. I think if you have read it and can discuss it with your child it could be a good "lesson".

At 30 years old this book was depressing to me so I can see how it could be upsetting to an 11 yr old. I think it depends a lot on the particular child.

Your post was really interesting to me because I had never thought about monitoring your child's reading, movies and tv yeah, but I hadn't thought about books, especially a children's book! My children are all under 5 so I haven't dealt with this yet.

Thankd for the perspective!

message 2: by Kelly (new)

Kelly I am glad to see other's watching what children are reading. I use this website to help guide my 11 year old to good books and to be aware of what school assigned books contain. I appreciate the tip.

message 3: by Brookie (new)

Brookie I partly agree. The ending was pretty sad so emotional children should not read this book. But you have to remember that this was the first book in a series so the story doesn't end just yet.

message 4: by Sherry (new) - added it

Sherry I first read this book when I was 12 because my mom was reading it too. I was mad at the end because Jen died at the rally and told my mom it was a terrible book. HOWEVER when I was about 16/17 I read the rest of the series and loved it. I can honestly say this is one of my favorite series. Jen's death in the first step in a snow ball affect for the better in the rest of series. It is a rallying point that helps the shadow children and others in the country fight for their freedom from a totalitarian government. I would warn kids under 12 that a main character dies at the end of book one but to keep reading or else you never see how the good guys eventually do win. P.S. I find the way she correctly portrays a police state the most captivating part of series.

Arianna I don't think that Among the Hidden is as bad as the other books in the series though. The other ones are a little more scary and violent. But they are still great books and i think that 11 and 12 year old can read it.

Kimmae I appreciate your review. It is fine to be unsure whether something is appropriate for a certain age - it is so dependent on the child. You don't need to apologize for your review. The last sentence is unnecessary. In the 2nd to the last sentence I would like to read more about why you are hesitant.

Michelle Why didn't the mother read it herself? It's a quick read. That's odd.

Jack Jackson It is good for 11year olds

message 9: by Kiki (new) - rated it 1 star

Kiki I agree and disagree. Parents should be wary of this book for their children but they should also take into account their child's emotional majority as a reader.