John's Reviews > Deep Sky

Deep Sky by Patrick  Lee

Dec 26, 12

Read in September, 2012

Very solid wrap-up to the Travis Chase books -- did a great job of closing-out everything (or almost everything) that was set in motion in the first book ("The Breach"). Quite a roller-coaster ride, with a heavy-duty air of conspiracy and a few surprise twists that I definitely didn't see coming. The ending was particularly thought-provoking from a moralistic perspective.

I liked how the author ended the book in a way that felt like closure for all that had come before, while still leaving the possibility that we could see more Travis Chase books.

FYI, while the first book reminded me a bit of Dan Brown's books, the second book took things more into the realm of science fiction, and "Deep Sky" transformed this trilogy from what started as a decent thriller to pretty satisfying moralistic science fiction. I'd rate this as "very accessible" science fiction, though, because the science is plausible and comprehensible enough in the context of the fictional world that Patrick Lee has created.

If you're more inclined to the "triller/intrigue" genre than you are science fiction, I'd say that the Travis Chase books don't require a ton of scientific knowledge, just a willingness to accept what the author presents, along with an ability to suspend disbelief and just "roll with it" for the sake of a good story. If you are more science fiction-oriented, the books might not "wow" you from a science/technical perspective, but the moralistic/technological aspects are solid enough to make it worth going along for the ride.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deep Sky.