Laura's Reviews > Freaks Like Us

Freaks Like Us by Susan Vaught

Sep 07, 12

bookshelves: reviewed
Read from September 02 to 07, 2012

Freak, Drip, and Sunshine are best friends, there also alphabets; meaning they all suffer from some sort of psychological disorder. When Sunshine disappears, Freak; aka Jason is thought to be behind it, but Freak would never hurt Sunshine, he cares for her deeply and wouldn't want anything to do with hurting her, but the voices in Freak's head are trying to convince him otherwise.

I enjoyed this book for its realistic writing into the head of a schizophrenic. While I personally don't know anyone who suffers from this disorder, I felt like the characters voice rang true with how the disease would consume a persons life and every waking moment. This book in all honesty gave me anxiety (I do suffer from anxiety) but this book made it worse. I'm not saying thats a bad thing, and i'm not quite sure why it did in all honesty, but the voices in Freaks head made me anxious and I really did feel for him.

I wish there had been some more character development in the story, I didn't really feel like you got to know any of the characters really well, I wanted more in that respect, but other that that I did enjoy this book. It was different then any other book i've read dealing with psychological issues, and it was refreshing to find a book that had a different "voice".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Freaks Like Us.

09/03/2012 page 86