Amy's Reviews > Deadly Sting

Deadly Sting by Jennifer Estep

Mar 24, 2013

bookshelves: edelweiss
Read from January 07 to March 24, 2013

At this point I can honestly say I don't care what happens plot-wise since, with the help of her air elemental friend, Gin's pretty much invincible/heals everything. With Mab dead, I find my interest waning especially after the blatant character assassination of Owen in book7. Give us a really good Big Bad - one we'll have a reason to hate. Hell, kill one of the minor but loved/important characters off (I'm thinking Owen's sister that way he'll need Gin's help and be forced to grovel for being such an asshat last book) and make Gin hunt their murderer for the next couple of books if you have to.
--------------------------------------
The book started out pretty slowly.. It took me a while (2+ months) to finally plow through the first couple of chapters but once I did, I finished the rest in one sitting.

As per usual, this latest installment to the Elemental Assasins series had me on the edge of my seat. If there's one thing Jennifer Estep consistently excels at, it's her ability to write heart pounding action scenes. I'm not going to get into the story since the synopsis pretty much has it down pat. Besides, at this point, I'm pretty sure everyone's only reading to find out what happens between Gin and Owen since, as I've stated before reading the book, Gin's pretty much indestructible thanks to JoJo.

So what happened between Gin and Owen? Not much but also a helluva lot. What the hell does that mean? Well, there was one scene where my heart broke for Gin and had me screaming at the unfairness of it all. (view spoiler) Then there were the handful of other scenes between the two of them that had me fuming because Gin freaking Blanco's inner dialogue was reduced to someone with the insecurities and emotional maturity of a Bieber fan. I mean, I get that killing your lover's first love grants them the right to be pissed at you and even hate you but come the fuck on! Salina was an evil bitch who tried to destroy everyone Owen cared about. Hell, she turned him against his loyal ass best friend for decades and even tried to kill his baby sister! When she was still a baby! Then she tried to kill all of his business associates, his mentor, AND Gin! The woman was pure fucking evil! So forgive me if I don't understand why Owen broke up with Gin when she killed the bitch while saving over 30 other people, their friends and family included. I can't, for the life of me, understand how Owen-knightinshiningarmor-Grayson became the very person he despised and replaced, Donovan-crymeariver-Cain. Or how Gin still hangs onto his every word and action, like a pathetic Reinfeld eagerly awaiting their Master's command. I would've told him not to bother with the angsty temporary break and just dumped his ass a book ago, nonetheless let him string me along for so long. And I'm not even Gin-the Spider-Blanco! For a tough ass assasin, she sure is weak when it comes to men.

Anyway, the book ends on an optimistic note with a hopeful Gin and a sickeningly sweet scene. Me, on the other hand, I could care less about Owen-fucking-Grayson at this point. I'm done, done, done. I think it's about time Gin gets a new man. One who finally accepts ALL of her because Owen played us all with his "I love everything about you" bullshit.
25 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadly Sting.

(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick LOL I just remarked to a friend that Owen needs a good hard biotch slap.

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Tori Benson wrote: "LOL I just remarked to a friend that Owen needs a good hard biotch slap."

Oh a good hard bitch slap seems wayyy too good for him. He knew the shit the cop put Gin through messed her up big time so I'd say his turning into Donovan 2.0 requires another hard knee to the groin, at the very least. ;)

message 3: by Sam (new)

Sam Martin I like that but how about almost kill his sister! Because Eve is on her side! Eve is hurt so bad (ICU) & is in the hospital! Air magic can't help!

message 4: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Sam wrote: "I like that but how about almost kill his sister! Because Eve is on her side! Eve is hurt so bad (ICU) & is in the hospital! Air magic can't help!"

Ooh you're evil! I like the way you think ;)

Scartale I laughed at "Donovan-crymeariver-Cain" =D.

The only reason I'm not as angry as all the other readers is because I never liked any of the romantic relationships in the series. Not a single one. I thought they were all boring as hell. However I do agree Gin needs a completely new man, so to hell with Owen.

Scartale ^I mean I never liked them and so I was never really invested in any of them.

And also don't mind if she doesn't end up with anyone. She can be alone, she can take up the practice of one-night stands, anything but Owen