C.'s Reviews > The End of the Affair

Jul 09, 09

bookshelves: started-and-put-aside, to-read-again-in-twenty-years
Recommended to C. by: Ben Harrison
Read in July, 2009

I'm just not getting into this. I'm really disappointed. You all said it was so great, but I read it and I started to feel like I'd been reading too much and my head was just getting stuffed so full that I couldn't take any more words in (it happens sometimes). So I took a break. But now I just don't want to pick it up again! It's staring at me, smug in its little green and yellow cover. So slim, you know? Taunting me. "Nah nah nah nah nah, you can't even finish a little 190-page nothing like me! No wonder you're feeling disengaged from Jane Eyre after only 310 pages! Don't hold up that copy of Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel! It may be 1006 pages long, but it's fantasy and at the end of the day, we all know that's not real literature..."

SHUT UP.

Anyway. I had such high hopes: I saw the dedication, 'to C.'. I am quite superstitious in my way, and when I saw it I thought it was a good omen. I was so hoping that the C could stand for Choupette, that it would be one of those books that speaks to me, as if to me alone, as it seemed to do for so many of you, O noble goodreaders! And the hope did not stop there. The epigraph was also great. I dig that epigraph.

Man has places in his heart which do not yet exist, and into them enters suffering in order that they may have an existence. - Leon Bloy

So it was only when the actual story started that it started going downhill. Infer what you will about me from this, O readers, but my love is not passionate enough, my jealousy is not existent enough, I have not had enough extramarital affairs. I cannot enjoy this book!

________________________________

I picked it up again aiming to finish it - I'm only about sixty pages off - but everything still seemed to be happening on the wrong side of a frosted glass window. Nothing touched me! Few things are more boring than people in angsty love when you can't feel it with them. Anyway, Trevor tells me I am likely to grow out of my need to finish every book I start, so I think I shall start now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The End of the Affair.

07/06/2009 page 34
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ben (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ben I’m sending this comment to all of my friends that have this on their “to read” list. Do NOT read the introduction to the penguin edition of this: it contains a major spoiler on its first page. I didn’t read the introduction until after reading the novel, so I was lucky. (It’s a shitty introduction anyhow; really not worth your time.)

In fact, I don’t advise that you read the introduction to non penguin editions either. I just don’t see how it could be worth the spoiler risk.

Okay, enjoy!

message 2: by Ben (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ben Cool, hope you like it, and we appreciate your Power and Glory attempt.

Kelly It is good. I might be terribly biased, but... yeah. I look forward to your review.

message 4: by Ben (last edited Jul 08, 2009 03:30AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ben haha, you crack me up. Your honesty is appreciated -- to each his own.

And David K. will love you if he reads this. He's quite sick of everyone loving this novel.

Alan yes not enough extramarital affairs Choupette.

message 7: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Yeah, I think one has to have a bit of self hatred and bitterness in them to fully appreciate this book. Or a bit of crazy.

Chris What if one has a whole lot of self hatred, bitterness, and crazy in them? I think I'm going to love this book.

message 9: by C. (new) - rated it 2 stars

C. Oh, I thought I had the self hatred, bitterness and crazy down. Dammit, looks like I need to work on that.

Lori (Hellian) Ha!

Well, I've had End of the Affair on my to-read list for years, and lately there's been such a slew of friends reading it that I finally placed a hold on it at the libes. It arrived at my branch yesterday, and sure I'm still gonna give it a try but I always like getting a more tempered reaction than the usual effusions. It helps me even my expectations!

message 11: by tim (new) - rated it 3 stars

tim Whatever you do, stay far away from the movie adaptation.