Charlie's Reviews > The Sandman, Vol. 5: A Game of You

The Sandman, Vol. 5 by Neil Gaiman

Sep 02, 12

Read from August 22 to 28, 2012

Princess Barbie has a dream world all of her own. Unsurprisingly (given these are the Sandman books) it is darker than you might think. The world is coming to an end. Can Barbie and her friends save it and all the people in it from oblivion?

I found this story unusually coherent for Sandman and very compelling. The length of the story and the fact that we had met some of the individuals before meant that Gaiman was able to create much more depth of character which I found rewarding. As usual Gaiman lightens the darker elements by adding humour. So, not withstanding the body in the bathtub, etc. etc. I found this one of his lighter works and enjoyed it because of that.

I was however annoyed by the cover art. Book 4 this series had very good cover art which I looked at over and over again. I found it very evocative of the book. This volume however had cover art which just did not seem to be either attractive or relevant.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sandman, Vol. 5.