Ruth's Reviews > The Accidental Tourist

The Accidental Tourist by Anne Tyler

Sep 06, 12

Read from September 02 to 06, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** The title is appropriate in more ways than one. It sums up what, Macon realizes at the end of the book, is how his whole life has gone: He's a tourist at/in life and, as he puts it, all major life events "Have befallen" him, accidentally, or at least, without conscious thought on his part, although I wonder about that. Could someone so conscientious about minute details of one's life, release all control around the big stuff. I don't know.

This is the second or third book I've read by Anne Tyler and I think I have reached the conclusion that I don't like her writing all that much. No, no, that's not at all accurate. Her writing is something to be admired. These characters will stick in my head, even parts of the lessor ones like Porter or Claire. I can see the different places he lives and the lives that make them that way. I could learn a lot from her writing. but I don't like her main characters, Macon in this book, the wife in Breathing Lessons. I get so frustrated with their failings, I want to scream at them (and sometimes I do, in a whisper), Macon not as much as the wife in BL but still. I don't read to get angry. I can do that all by myself. I want, I need reading to be a different experience. Fortunately, there are plenty of other authors I can learn from.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Accidental Tourist.

Quotes Ruth Liked

Anne Tyler
“Ever consider what pets must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul - chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth!”

Anne Tyler
“But his study was so dim and close, and it gave off the salty inky smell of mental fidgeting.”

Anne Tyler
“A Japanese man festooned with cameras, a nun, a young girl in braids.”

09/05/2012 page 210