Shana's Reviews > The Lost Girl

The Lost Girl by Sangu Mandanna

Sep 01, 2012

One of my favorite things about this book was that it is a standalone. There's no sequel to wait an entire year for (I'm looking at you, every other YA book these day!), but at the same time, it left me wishing for a sequel, simply because Eva is such an interesting, strong and compelling character.

The Lost Girl has wisps of Never Let Me Go, but with more hope. Like in Never Let Me Go, Eva has been created for a purpose. She is an echo, a copy of another person. Mandanna does a lovely job of creating both the character of Eva and Amarra. She explores the complexity of what makes a person a person. After reading The Lost Girl, I became more aware of how much of ourselves is made up in the way we move our hands and the words we say every day. For it is a slight quirk of taste and vocabulary that is Eva's undoing.

Alongside Eva, Mandanna has created a full cast of supporting characters who experience the pain and grief of losing a loved one and the anger and fear of finding her replaced. She also captures the sights and sounds of Bangalore, India and London, England.

Overall, a well-done debut. I look forward to reading more from this author.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Girl.

Kate Bond I agree about the hope and I was totally there with you emotionally (altough the ending could have unrolled a bit less neatly for my taste)...but I wish the world had felt more logical. The echo mark on the back of the echoes' necks really pulled me out of it--I mean, aren't they expecting these people to completely assimilate?