Katherine Cowley's Reviews > Palace of Stone

Palace of Stone by Shannon Hale

Nov 03, 14

bookshelves: fantasy, fiction, romance, middle-grade-fiction
Read in August, 2012

Hands down this is the best piece of YA literature I've read this year. If you love YA lit, fantasy novels, or strong female protagonists, this book is for you. Of course, make sure you read the original, Newbery Honor winning Princess Academy first--this is a sequel after all.

Miri leaves her mountain home to help prepare for the royal wedding and to attend school in the capital. Unfortunately she had poor timing, arriving just as an assassin tries to kill the king. The problem is that the king is not that great of a king, and Miri quickly is torn between old friendships and new loyalties to the revolution. Add to that a pulling in her heart between old and new love, great passages on Ethics and Rhetoric, and of course a bit of linder magic, and you get what makes Shannon Hale such a delightful author to readers both young and old.

Beyond being able to tale a perfect story with masterfully woven characters, Shannon Hale is a master of language, writing with beautiful, delightful prose. I've always thought that of all her books, Princess Academy had the best use of language... yet Palace of Stone may have beaten it out. So yes, amazing, talented award winning authors can get better.

Since I'm fan-gushing, I must admit that I attended Shannon Hale's signing in Phoenix the day after this book was released. She is just as delightful in person as she is on paper.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Palace of Stone.