Terry's Reviews > Crank

Aug 24, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: gritty, verse-novels
Read from July 13 to 15, 2010

For years, this book has been one of the common denominators of students at the high school where I work: guys and girls read it, jocks and geeks read it, and I'm just as likely to see it in the hands of a senior as in the bag of a freshman. While Ellen Hopkins has written other books - and they, too, capture a large readership - this is the book that speaks to an astonishingly broad audience. What sets "Crank" apart from all the other books of this sort - Tweak: Growing Up On Methamphetamines, Smashed: Story of a Drunken Girlhood, Go Ask Alice, The Spectacular Now - and what keeps kids reading it? I don't quite get it myself, but it may have as much to do with the unmistakable voice that comes through the poesm as with the propulsive plot.

I'll think about this some more and come back, I'm sure, at some point, but for now let me say that this is a fast look into the insanity of drug addiction. It isn't pretty, it isn't pleasant, but then books about such things generally aren't.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crank.

07/13/2010 page 116
22.0% "Near-rape and rescue."
07/13/2010 page 280
52.0% "Kristina could be every girl. One bad decision after another. Guys, drugs, tattoo."