Terry's Reviews > Identical

Identical by Ellen Hopkins

Jul 11, 2008

bookshelves: verse-novels, gritty
Read in July, 2008

Just finished my ARC. Devotees of Hopkins' earlier books will not be disappointed; if you don't care for her previous volumes, this won't change your mind. Maternal abandonment, drugs, casual sex, a tragic past, cutting, bulimia, and incest are just the obvious troubles Kaeleigh and Raeanne juggle. Like Identical, the story alternates view points between characters, keeping the plot humming along. There is an interesting sub-plot with a Holocaust rescuer, as well as a teacher-student relationship that believably edges towards inappropriateness. As with her earlier books, the end isn't completely resolved, even with a deus ex machina or two.

"Identical" takes chances by rendering a detailed portrait of incest, which makes it a grim, grimmy read, like watching a human train wreck. The actions of the perpetrator aren't glossed over, nor are behaviors of his victims. Fans of Crank and Glass will find some new things to shock and appall, which is what they are looking for. Folks who are bothered by Flowers in the Attic will need to give this one a wide birth.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Identical.

Sabino Couldn't agree more. Though, the problem that I encounter is the ending feels fast and abrupt. Ellen has done this with the three of the four books I have read. I feel like I need more to take in all the revelations that occur in the last fifty or more pages.

Michelle Flowers in the Attic didn't bother me as much, but I think it's because I am listening to this as an audiobook and for some reason, hearing it brings it to life in a whole new way.