Terry's Reviews > Thirteen Reasons Why

Oct 10, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: brought-to-rhs-library, mystery-suspense
Read in November, 2007

The premise is intriguing: a boy listens to tapes sent to him by a girl who committed suicide a couple of weeks ago. And I'll admit, I stayed up late to finish the final third because I was that curious about how it would turn out. I can imagine teens - male and female - enjoying the twists and turns.

But. This doesn't rise to my highest tier of young adult literature. Although it is at times fascinating, there are several pieces that Mr. Asher doesn't work out to my satisfaction. The biggest problem is that it is just too easy to buy Hannah's taped versions of events and blame others for her suicide. I also didn't quite grasp Clay's attraction to Hannah or his reaction to her recorded remarks. The drama felt forced. For developing teen readers, the many characters would make this a tough read, while accomplished readers would probably find greater satisfaction in other thrillers.

So while I enjoyed the book, I won't recommend it unequivocally. [Taken from my Amazon review]