Graham's Reviews > Bravo Two Zero

Bravo Two Zero by Andy McNab

Dec 20, 08

bookshelves: non-fiction, modern-warfare
Read in January, 2004, read count: 1

First of all, this review is concerned with the book and the book alone; forget the conspiracy, bad mouthing and follow-ups which have followed in the decade since this came out. Instead, I'm just focusing on Bravo Two Zero the book and the book alone.

Of the various true-life war accounts written over the past century, it certainly stands out as a corker, chronicling the ill-fated 1991 mission from beginning to chaotic ending, beginning with the initial planning back at base, moving to behind enemy lines combat, and ending in the various mission members going their separate ways.

McNab writes a believable, in-your-face account of what it’s like to be at the receiving end of brutal torture and the experience of taking part in a fierce firefight, his style alert and friendly, drawing you into the tale and refusing to let you go until the bitter end. It certainly is a brutal story – at least a third is taken up with prolonged descriptions of torture and other barbarity, and death and dehydration abound. Other parts are exciting but tragic, such as the heroic shoot-outs which result in death and destruction, I couldn’t put the book down.

It stands as a testament to McNab’s skill that he propels you along energetically despite the subject matter, with entertainment being the keyword here, and it IS entertaining – I’m sure most readers have dreamed about what it would like to be a soldier, well this is your chance to face the savage truth and I guarantee it’ll put most off for life or give you a taste for similar non-fiction works.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bravo Two Zero.