Ronyell's Reviews > The Gashlycrumb Tinies

The Gashlycrumb Tinies by Edward Gorey

Sep 02, 12

bookshelves: creepy-ending, edward-gorey, children-s-book, my-blog-reviews, picture-book
Recommended for: Dark children's books fans!!!
Read in September, 2012

Twenty-six different ways to die!

Now, I am no stranger when it comes to reading dark and morbid books for children since I had read children’s books such as “Halloween ABC” and “The Spider and the Fly” which were just as morbid. But “The Gashlycrumb Tinies” was one of the first children’s books I have read that is about several different ways for kids to die! “The Gashlycrumb Tinies” is a picture book written and illustrated by Edward Gorey and it is a book that will truly cause every reader’s hairs to stick up at their ends!

This book is basically set up as reciting the alphabet by detailing every child’s name that starts with the letters of the alphabet and how each child dies, such as one poem about a boy named Basil being assaulted by bears.

Now, the moment you see the image of a skeleton dressed in a black overcoat and top hat carrying a black umbrella and looming over several children on the cover of this book, then you will know that this book is no ordinary book for children. Edward Gorey has certainly created a unique and spooky children’s book that actually details how each child dies, which is a scary concept for young children and is usually not taken likely. I really enjoyed the simplistic way that Edward Gorey had written this book as there are mostly about eight to ten words per page making it easier for children to get a grasp on the concept of this book. I also enjoyed the fact that this book is used as a way to introduce the alphabet to children, just like how “Halloween ABC” introduced the alphabet to children in a morbid way. Edward Gorey had done an excellent job at providing a dark and horrific atmosphere for this book as the majority of this book is focused on different ways a child dies and I may sound a bit morbid myself when I say this, but I really enjoyed seeing all the different ways that the characters were dying in this book. Some of my favorite sentences in this book included:

“K is for Kate who was struck with an axe.

R is for Rhoda consumed by a fire.

Y is for Yorick whose head was knocked in.”

Kate[image error]Yorick

Edward Gorey’s illustrations are truly spooky and dramatic at the same time as the images are mainly in black and white colorings that truly give off the spooky feel of this book. I really loved the way that Edward Gorey made the illustrations have an Old Victorian feel as the characters seem like they are drawn into an old-fashioned horror film.

THIS BOOK IS NOT FOR SMALL CHILDREN!

Parents should know that this book is a bit too scary for smaller children since it details the theme of death and it explores different ways that the children in this book die. Now, the images are not as graphic as the text implies, although there is one image that details a young girl named Kate being struck by an axe and the image shows a little girl being covered in blood with an axe being embedded into her body. Parents might want to make sure that their children can handle dark imagery and themes in certain books that are considered too dark.

Overall, speaking as an adult who loves morbid and creepy books, “The Gashlycrumb Tinies” is a truly brilliant book that fans of books that are creepy and morbid will greatly enjoy for many years to come! Now speaking as an adult who is trying to figure out the right age set that this book should be aimed at, I would recommend this book to children ages seven and up since the theme of death would be a bit too scary for smaller children and it could easily give them nightmares for a long time.

Review is also on: Rabbit Ears Book Blog

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gashlycrumb Tinies.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways My favorite is "X is for Xerxes devoured by rats."

Ronyell Richard wrote: "My favorite is "X is for Xerxes devoured by rats.""

Oh yeah! I loved that one too!

Trudi Great review! Here's my personal favorite :)

message 4: by Ronyell (last edited Sep 01, 2012 09:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ronyell Trudi wrote: "Great review! Here's my personal favorite :)

"

Oh yeah! Is like anyone can die of boredom!

message 5: by Melki (new)

Melki I can only guess that this one has slipped under the radar of the religious nutjobs.

message 6: by Ronyell (last edited Sep 02, 2012 03:19AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ronyell Melki wrote: "I can only guess that this one has slipped under the radar of the religious nutjobs."

Yep or else this book would have been banned if that happened. :S

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Remember though...first pubbed in 1963 before the Tealiban and Immoral Minority grabbed the USA's nosehairs and dragged us ever further back into the Dark Ages.

Ronyell Richard wrote: "Remember though...first pubbed in 1963 before the Tealiban and Immoral Minority grabbed the USA's nosehairs and dragged us ever further back into the Dark Ages."

Oh yeah. I thought that there were some books banned back in the 1960s also?

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways For obscenity, yeah. Barney Rosset (may he rest in peace) fought the court cases that prevented sniffy church ladies from getting worty dirds and ess-eee-ecks in books to remain legal grounds for banning.

Ronyell Richard wrote: "For obscenity, yeah. Barney Rosset (may he rest in peace) fought the court cases that prevented sniffy church ladies from getting worty dirds and ess-eee-ecks in books to remain legal grounds for b..."

Oh! Thanks for telling me this! I never knew about this!

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways Go look at this article about Henry Miller's novel Tropic of Cancer. Really interesting.

Ronyell Richard wrote: "Go look at this article about Henry Miller's novel Tropic of Cancer. Really interesting."

Thanks! I'll check it out!

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways De rien, ma amie

Ronyell Richard wrote: "De rien, ma amie"

Is that French or Italian?

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways French..."It's nothing, my gal-pal."

Ronyell Richard wrote: "French..."It's nothing, my gal-pal.""

Oh thanks! I always wanted to learn French, but I could never find the time!

Greta is Erikasbuddy Holy Corpses, Batman!!! Adding to my list!!

Most awesome reveiew!!!

Ronyell Greta is Erikasbuddy wrote: "Holy Corpses, Batman!!! Adding to my list!!

Most awesome reveiew!!!"