Denise's Reviews > Close Your Eyes

Close Your Eyes by Amanda Eyre Ward

Sep 05, 12

Read from September 01 to 05, 2012

3.5 out of 5 stars - "If you don't let yourself feel sadness, you don't feel any other emotions, either; hunger, happiness, love.",

I enjoyed this quick read that I won in a giveaway contest from the publisher. It is a family drama that centers on a daughter's struggle to find happiness in the wake of her mother's murder. When she was a child, Lauren's father was arrested and convicted of the crime and Lauren had always agonized because her memories of their family were of love and happiness. Does a child ever know her parents and how does she deal with her perceptions of her life vs what has since been held up as truth?

Lauren's brother, Alex, believes that their father was not guilty of the murder and has tried for years to prove his innocence. In his desperation, he strives to make a difference in the world and signs up for medical service with Doctors Without Borders in battle-ravaged Iraq leaving Lauren with one last clue to follow up. Lauren is bitter and unable to accept the marriage proposal of her long-time boyfriend, but decides that she has nothing to lose by trying to tie up all the loose ends from the past. In the throes of a continuing depressing, she connects with another lost girl, pregnant Sylvia, who has her own secrets and history that she is running from. Is there a common thread between these two women and what revelations will come from their meeting?

Although I was able to connect the dots and figured out what was going to happen halfway through the novel, I did like how the author tied it all together and offered a fairly predictable conclusion. I felt that the characters of Lauren and Sylvia were the most sympathetic and well-developed with the supporting cast a bit thin, but it ended on a satisfying and hopeful note - whether contrived or not.

You will like this book if you are a fan of Kristin Hannah or Diane Chamberlain. There's a mystery to be solved with secrets and lies keeping the truth at bay for many years.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Close Your Eyes.