Manny's Reviews > The Catcher in the Rye

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

Dec 20, 2008

it was ok

Well, it ain't Huck Finn. But if you're thinkin' glass-half-full, it ain't Vernon God Little neither.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Catcher in the Rye.

01/31/2016 marked as: read

Jessica Hi Manny, Why only 2 stars? Just curious, as you know. Have you read other Salinger books? jess

Manny I must reread this some time. I read it ages ago, and I can remember next to nothing about it, so I thought that giving it more than 2 stars would be dishonest. I read a short story collection more recently, and I liked that better, but again, I'm surprised how little I recall.

Jessica I agree. I usually remember something about books I've read, but if not (there is something to be said about not remembering a book--had to be very uninteresting).

I would not say that Catcher in the Rye is Salinger's best book. I think his others are better.
Jess

message 4: by Fionnuala (new)

Fionnuala God Manny! Vernon Little! I had wiped him completely from my memory. Now I'm going to be reminded of him for the rest of the...lunch break!

Manny I'm sorry, Fionnuala. I picked a bad time of day to post this, didn't I?

Nandakishore Varma Today must be "Bash Holden Caulfield" Day.

message 7: by Fionnuala (new)

Fionnuala Nandakishore wrote: "Today must be "Bash Holden Caulfield" Day."

More like "God Awful Vernon Little Day" ;-)

Manny Nandakishore wrote: "Today must be "Bash Holden Caulfield" Day."

Hey! I was supporting him!

Nandakishore Varma Manny wrote: "Nandakishore wrote: "Today must be "Bash Holden Caulfield" Day."

Hey! I was supporting him!"

Yes, you did say he was better than Vernon.

Well, I bashed him the morning and got 17 likes in no time. I liked a couple of reviews bashing him and now I see those reviews getting more and more likes.

Poor Holden.

Nandakishore Varma Fionnuala wrote: "Nandakishore wrote: "Today must be "Bash Holden Caulfield" Day."

More like "God Awful Vernon Little Day" ;-)"

Manny Nandakishore wrote: "Fionnuala wrote: "Nandakishore wrote: "Today must be "Bash Holden Caulfield" Day."

More like "God Awful Vernon Little Day" ;-)"

I have not read the book, even though I own it - was not able to move beyond page 5."

I liked the Immanuel Cunt/Schrödinger's Cat joke. But it kind of peaked there, I'm afraid.

message 12: by Fionnuala (new)

Fionnuala Nandakishore wrote: "Fionnuala wrote: "Nandakishore wrote: "Today must be "Bash Holden Caulfield" Day."

More like "God Awful Vernon Little Day" ;-)"

I have not read the book, even though I own it - was not able to move beyond page 5..."

You must have a good nose, N!

Nandakishore Varma Fionnuala wrote: "You must have a good nose, N!"

More like a low boredom threshold.

message 14: by Tom (new)

Tom I Loved catcher as a young guy and I bought vgl when it was new expecting something similar. I didn't really get it, but I'm not confident with not liking things, I always assume I missed some point. I was validated when I saw it voted one of the worst of the decade. I don't remember anything about vgl now but the beloved catcher is seared into my memory forever.

Forrest What? 2 stars? You're being awfully generous! Emphasis on the "awful". :)

Manny Forrest wrote: "What? 2 stars? You're being awfully generous! Emphasis on the "awful". :)"

Stars don't grow on trees, you know. I have consulted experts on both arboriculture and astronomy, and there is no reasonable doubt about it.

Robert Manny wrote: "Forrest wrote: "What? 2 stars? You're being awfully generous! Emphasis on the "awful". :)"

Have you never seen Christmas Trees?!

Manny Robert, those stars are stuck on. I refer you to the Wikipedia article on Lysenkoism.

Robert Manny wrote: "Robert, those stars are stuck on. I refer you to the Wikipedia article on Lysenkoism."

Well, gor bligh me! My world view is shattered! Next you'll be telling me they aren't even real stars!

Manny Robert, I hate to say this, but those stars are powered by electricity, not nuclear fusion. I know, I was kind of shocked too.

Robert Manny wrote: "Robert, I hate to say this, but those stars are powered by electricity, not nuclear fusion. I know, I was kind of shocked too."

That's just because of bad wiring, though...

Abram Dorrough The number of laughs emitted per word read in your reviews is unusually high

Manny Hey, thank you Abram! An objectively verifiable evaluation metric, that's what we academics are always looking for!

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

OMG. I used to like and/or respect all of your reviews. But, Jeez, after this consider yourself on my probation list.

This book and author are on the all time US top 10 list and deservedly so.

Since you don't recall, I'll have to consider the possibility that ages ago you were diddling with some female while pretending to read this book. But, you're still on probation, Buster.