Dale Jr.'s Reviews > The Satanic Verses

The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie

Oct 01, 12

bookshelves: fiction, literature, controversial, 3-star
Read from September 01 to October 01, 2012

There's not much I'm going to say about Rushdie's "Satanic Verses". Most of it has been said. Comments on its apparent controversial content. Endless discussion on its social commentary. Etc etc.

What I will say is this. Rushdie is a beautiful writer. His stream of conscious style, although a turn off for some, was enjoyable for myself. Then again, I've got an odd love for s.o.c. style. More than likely due to my own rambling mind.

Rushdie's descriptions sometimes left me wishing I had thought of certain passages myself. I'll make no secret about my jealousy concerning the butterfly-eating character of Ayesha. Beautiful, to say the least.

Some portions of the book, mostly towards the midway portion, drug on with what I, and others, felt were unnecessarily verbose passages. I get what Rushdie was trying to say, but he said it a bit too much at points.

That being said, I still enjoyed the book for its beauty. And it certainly hasn't turned me off to reading more of Rushdie. I'll give the man another chance without a doubt.

So, would I recommend this? Yes. Though it may not be the best starting point for Rushdie.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Satanic Verses.

09/01/2012 page 11
2.0% ""Who am I? Let's put it this way: who has the best tunes?""
09/16/2012 page 205
36.0% "Section III was a bit odd, but contained some rather beautiful passages. Really diggin' this book."
09/16/2012 page 222
39.0% "Butterfly eater."
09/17/2012 page 295
52.0% "Saladin Chamcha back to "human" form. Loving this...but damn does Mr. Rushdie have an imagination."
09/27/2012 page 397
70.0% "'Whores and writers, Mahound. We are the people you can't forgive.' Mahound replied, 'Writers and whores. I see no difference here.'"
09/30/2012 page 473
84.0% "Stay with me. The world is real. We have to live in it; we have to live here, to live on."
show 17 hidden updates…

Selena will link my review to your review. this was my exact feeling.

Dale Jr. selena wrote: "will link my review to your review. this was my exact feeling."

Great minds.