Manny's Reviews > The Doors of His Face, the Lamps of His Mouth

The Doors of His Face, the Lamps of His Mouth by Roger Zelazny

May 19, 10

bookshelves: science-fiction
Read in January, 1974, read count: 3

I last looked at this collection 35 years ago and I can still remember at least half of them, so I conclude that it must be pretty good.

I think I liked the love stories most: "A Rose for Ecclesiastes", where the Earth poet visits the doomed Martian society and falls in love with their priestess, and "The Man Who Loved The Faioli", in which Zelazny pulls off the near-impossible feat of creating a moving romance between a vampire and a cyborg. Really, I'm not being ironic! He was one of the brightest SF talents around during the early to mid-60s.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Doors of His Face, the Lamps of His Mouth.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert A Rose for Ecclesiastes is the most emotionally powerful piece by Zelazny that I've read.

message 2: by Hazel (new) - added it

Hazel The title is familiar, Manny. Is there a reference?

Manny Hazel wrote: "The title is familiar, Manny. Is there a reference?"

I looked around - I half expected it to be a quote from Revelations - but, as far as I can see, Zelazny coined this memorable phrase. The title story is indeed also very good, and has been anthologised numerous times!

message 4: by Hazel (new) - added it

Hazel Manny wrote: "Hazel wrote: "The title is familiar, Manny. Is there a reference?"

Yes, my initial thought was 'biblical reference'. Perhaps I've read that story. Zelazny was not one of my favourites, but I'm going to look for this book. Thank you, Manny. You're always a good source of recommendations.

Kevan Yes, this is Zelazny at the top of game. I also recall the Great Slow Kings (or some such)

This book is up there with Lord of Light and Creatures of Light and Darkness