Dan Schwent's Reviews > Killing Castro

Killing Castro by Lawrence Block

May 30, 12

bookshelves: hardcase, block, cool-covers
Read in March, 2009

Five Americans are hired to go to Cuba and assassinate Fidel Castro, the survivors splitting $100,000. Two of the five join revolutionaries in the hills, two hole up and build a bomb, and the last rents a hotel room overlooking the site of one of Fidel's speeches. Can any of them get the job done?

While Killing Castro isn't my favorite of Lawrence Block's Hard Case books, it's also not the worst. Some of the characters are a little thin but each one is fairly reallistic. There's also a little smut, not surprising since Block wrote a lot of that kind of thing back in the day.

The best parts of Killing Castro? Watching Block develop as a writer and experiment with different techniques. I enjoyed the way he shifted viewpoints between characters and I also liked the way he paralleled the events in the story with an account of Fidel Castro's rise to power.

All in all, an easy read and an entertaining way to spend a few hours reading.
24 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Killing Castro.

03/28/2009 page 0
03/31/2009 page 173
84.8% "Something tells me Castro is going to live through this..."
show 5 hidden updates…

message 1: by Jim (new)

Jim I might give this a try. I've read a couple of Block's works. "The Hitman" is my favorite. There was something so chilling & understated about the man.

message 2: by Dan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dan Schwent Jim wrote: "I might give this a try. I've read a couple of Block's works. "The Hitman" is my favorite. There was something so chilling & understated about the man."

I've read the five books Block that Hard Case re-issued. Grifter's Game and The Girl with the Long Green Heart are better than this one but this one has its moments.

Kemper This is still one of my favorite HCC covers.

message 4: by Dan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dan Schwent Mine too. I saw it at the used bookstore last week.

James Thane A better cover than the book, but as Dan suggested, it's fun to watch Block's writing evolve through these early books.