Greg's Reviews > The Three Roosevelts: Patrician Leaders Who Transformed America

The Three Roosevelts by James MacGregor Burns

Feb 14, 09

Read in February, 2009

I liked the subject, but I felt that the authors gave short shrift to TR and jumped around suddenly at times. Still it was an interesting read and I definitely learned a lot about Eleanor in particular that I did not previously know. One particular thing struck me while reading this book and that was how relevant the issues of TR and FDR's time are to our modern problems.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Three Roosevelts.

12/20/2008 page 0
0.0% "Franz gave this to me two years ago. It's a big book..."
12/23/2008 page 112
16.28% "Reading a section focused primarily on TR right now. I don't think that my brothers would have cared too much for his politics."
01/06/2009 page 145
21.08% "I am unfortunately moving quite slowly through this book. I'm hoping I'll have some more time as I settle into the new year."
01/26/2009 page 264
38.37% "Have moved out of the TR section and into the ER and FDR part of the book."
01/31/2009 page 300
43.6% "Getting deeper into the new deal."
02/04/2009 page 357
51.89% "Getting into some of the foreign relations issues that faced FDR. He was faced with a strong isolationist movement."
02/09/2009 page 412
59.88% "Just finished a section Eleanor's activities during the new deal. I previously did not know a lot about her politics."
show 3 hidden updates…

MaryJane Rings I agree. I have read several books on Franklin and Eleanor as well as seen both miniseries on their lives but knew less about Theodore.I would like to have had more time spent with him before he entered public life after becoming an adult. also what prepared and motivated him to be the type of reformer and politician that he was. I still feel as though there is more to learn about him that may have influenced Franklin and Eleanor. I also think that Eleanor did the most for the world and the culture she lived in as she had to overcome the position of women of her time and convince both her husband and other high level persons to take her seriously. I find her a fascinating woman and truly ahead of her time. Her life has always influenced me to strive for more and reach higher as a woman and a professional.