Jennifer's Reviews > What's Left of Me

What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang

Sep 07, 12

Read from September 01 to 07, 2012

I'm toggling between 2.5 and 3 stars on this one. The prologue started off strong for me and the drama that will more than likely unfold with the thought of being a hybrid and one wanting more control (how does one even SHARE a body having two souls is very intriguing?) and I am curious to see what Zhang will do as the series progresses. I'd heard about this book before Book Expo and so made an effort to get an ARC.

For me the characters of Addie and Eva were a bit weak. Not in building but in action. I do really like reading and writing strong/flawed characters and it kind of irked me that these girls made so many mistakes on their way to getting stronger and even then they were constantly saved "in the nick of time" or by "kindly strangers that came out of the blue." You could see several of the plot points a mile away and could figure out where things were going, but I needed more action and less observation. Nothing really bad happens that we see and so we're left to see drugged up kids/teens walk around and the worst case is gone for a majority of the book until it resurfaces when helpful.

I do like Zhang's writing though it seemed to try and be a bit arty in ways and sometimes phrases/descriptions could've been pulled back to their most basic terms (something I have struggled with as well in my writing).

The series has been compared to the Uglies and Matched, neither of which I've read but perhaps those who have and thoroughly enjoyed them will be all in for the Hybrid Chronicles. I don't know if I'll pursue finishing the series but I am curious as to how she intends to end it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What's Left of Me.

09/07/2012 page 232
65.0% "Hmm, I'll get back to you on this when I finish. I do like Zhang's overall premise and she's steady with the We vs. I throughout, which is hard to do."
show 1 hidden update…