Matt's Reviews > Suburban Hustler

Suburban Hustler by Robin Boren

Sep 02, 2012

liked it
Read from September 01 to 02, 2012

This short story—novella, actually—is full of excitement, intrigue, and even a dose of mystery, as a quiet, suburban couple becomes the target of a sinister drug lord, coming to exact revenge. Boren places us in the centre of it, using the first person narrative from the perspective of the female protagonist, and lets the story unfold from there. It is full of action and well-written, which is not always a given.

Boren’s use of the first person narrative has its advantages, as we can get inside her head and see what she is feeling, feel her angst and pain. Since the wife is one of the primary movers and shakers, this is a good choice, as it does personalise the entire story. Boren’s use of a plausible storyline is also useful, as it kept me reading from beginning to end without issue. While not literary platinum, this is surely a strong silver showing.

There are some small things worth mentioning. I did find the end to drop out of nowhere, as though the sand in the writer’s hourglass was slipping away and time was of the essence. It tied up too quickly, but that may be connected to my second concern, so please read on. While this is a novella, there is a definite overuse of narration and lack of dialogue in some parts. The narrator summarises dialogue in a narrative that could, in my opinion, liven up the flow of the book. Of course, this could be an editor trying to tighten up the length, but I did feel that there was a need for more…. Oomph, and added dialogue could surely have helped. Some grammar, spelling, and homonym errors did pop out at me, but then again, the editor might have been so busy trying to tighten that they forgot to do the other checking. I suppose if it made it to print like this, the blood is on the publisher’s hands too.

A well-written piece that I will surely recommend and pass on to others.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Suburban Hustler.