Nicole (Reading Books With Coffee)'s Reviews > Unseen

Unseen by Rachel Caine

Sep 08, 12

bookshelves: genies, paranormal, 2012, adult-lit
Read from September 01 to 07, 2012

I really liked Unseen. I just love seeing Djinn (or genies) and how there's a serious battle ahead. I just love her determination to destroy Pearl while in a human body. And seeing her change over the series has been interesting.

She has the chance to become a Djinn again, but passes, because she is much sympathetic to humans now. It turned out to be a good move on her part, at least at the end of the novel. But who knows how it will turn out in Unbroken?

There's a lot of action in this one, which made it go by really fast. I thought Esmeralda was an interesting addition, being caught between two very different forms. And there were some things I never saw coming. Like someone betraying the wardens...and it being the last person I expected.

I have no idea how Cassiel is supposed to destroy Pearl, what with being human, Pearl turning children into assassins and making their powers and abilities manifest way earlier than they should. Where the most powerful wardens are, I have no idea. They're mentioned, but we have yet to see them. And we have yet to see a lot of the Djinn. Maybe they'll make an appearance in Unbroken.

And all of the drama with Cassiel and Luis. I so want things to work out between them, but I have a feeling things won't end happily for them. And poor Ibby! Things are not looking up for her.

Overall, the characters are pretty interesting, and I like some of the new ones that were introduced. We still have some of old characters as well, but she has no problem with having her characters make really hard, gut-wrenching decisions. Or kill them, if need be.

This is the first time I felt like I was missing some of the backstory- and the first time I wished I read the Weather Warden series first. I have the feeling that some of my questions could be answered if I read it.

I give it a 4 out of 5. I can't wait to see what happens next!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unseen.