Kay Iscah's Reviews > Make the Bread, Buy the Butter: What You Should and Shouldn't Cook from Scratch -- Over 120 Recipes for the Best Homemade Foods

Make the Bread, Buy the Butter by Jennifer Reese

Sep 01, 12

Read in September, 2012

Overall brilliant. I love the concept, and actually reading the book did not disappoint. I must admit to skipping chunks of this book. I'm not a foodie. I don't drink alcohol in any form. The concept of Banana Ketchup hurts my brain. I will never make my own cheese. But mostly I skipped recipe details. I borrowed my copy from the library, and since I'm not in the mood to go on a cooking frenzy, I focused on broad concepts and narrative elements.

I love Jennifer Reese for all these suburban experiments done with growing, raising, and slaughtering, so I could read them rather than endure them. I'm working on my own meal planning book and know how big a headache simply crunching the numbers can be. She has not inspired me to raise live stock in the back yard (though I've always wondered if a sheep or two might replace the need for a lawn mower...), but I am again pondering blueberry bushes and apple trees.

I laughed far more than I expected when I ordered this book. It's funny, and I'd recommend it purely on entertainment value. However it also raises some interesting points about our interactions or lack thereof with our food, but tackles them in a pragmatic way I appreciated. This book is the pursuit of balance. The scatter food trivia and quotes were very interesting.

I'm torn over whether I would want to add this one to my personal library. There are several things I would love to read again, and recipies and references that I'd like to refer to...but really only a handful, and my shelf space grows ever limited. I could see myself rereading this at some point, which is my usual test for worthy of shelf space...If I had an ereader, this would be an ideal ebook purchase.

Maybe I'll stick it on my wishlist and squeeze it in somewhere.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Make the Bread, Buy the Butter.