All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Cleopatra Ascending

Cleopatra Ascending by Maureen Lipinski

Review Courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

CLEOPATRA ASCENDING is a wonderfully satisfying paranormal mystery centering around a very relatable reincarnation of a teenage Cleopatra. The story felt a little like an Indiana Jones type story with a secret cult bent on world domination, ancient codes to break, and lots of references to ancient historical texts. This was a great standalone book filled with action and intrigue and I was actually very surprised to discover that this was the second book in the Shadow’s Edge series (the first book focused on Rhea’s shaman sister, Leah).

I really liked the concept of Rhea being the reincarnation of Cleopatra and enjoyed seeing what powers she got as the story went along. The visions of Rhea’s past life were so visually detailed and I almost wanted to spend more time in ancient Egypt with Rhea as Cleopatra. As a character, Rhea came off as a very realistic teenager with numerous flaws who makes mistakes and learns from them. I was also impressed at her lack of bitterness in regards to not having any real magical abilities.

In regards to Rhea’s love life, I liked that she had a more realistic teenaged relationship with Slade…aside from him being a Dark Creatuir prince. I also enjoyed the lack of a love triangle or any real confrontation/chest thumping between Slade and Declan to ‘win’ Rhea. I liked that while Slade and Declan do assist Rhea in defeating the Octavians, Rhea is able to have agency over what she does and how she grows into her powers throughout the book.

I liked the mystery and magic discovered in CLEOPATRA ASCENDING and I will definitely be going back to check out the first in the Shadow’s Edge series; SHADOW’S EDGE, and keep an eye out for the next book featuring a new sister.

Sexual Content: kissing
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cleopatra Ascending.