David's Reviews > Forward From Here: Leaving Middle Age--and Other Unexpected Adventures

Forward From Here by Reeve Lindbergh

M_50x66
Dec 20, 08

couldn't read it all--after about half, I skimmed ahead to the part about Charles Lindbergh's secret families -- some good stuff there on his hypocrisy and what it was like to discover it belatedly, as well as more generally what it's like to know someone intimately that the public knows only as a hero.

beyond that, I found this an extremely boring book. Not a lot of screeching tires or breaking glass, as my wife would say. I gather it's the author's third memoir, and maybe there's just nothing left to say. Book jacket praise for it as "brave", "wry", and "wistful" should have cued me. There are extended excerpts from her personal journals, travelogues, updates on her Mom's tea-drinking habits, etc.

I don't mean to be mean -- she sounds like a really nice person and a good friend. I guess there's just a tipping point for each reader with blogs, personal essays etc. as to what makes a connection and what doesn't. Being middle-aged, having had a tumor (one chapter in here is about her brain tumor), and being interested in families and writers, I thought I'd be able to make that connection, but not so.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forward From Here.