Chibineko's Reviews > Lizzie Newton: Victorian Mysteries Vol. 1

Lizzie Newton by Hey-Jin Jeon

Sep 05, 12

bookshelves: already-bought, cute, mystery, murder
Read on September 01, 2012

This ended up being one of those books that I purchased because it was just that much fun to flip through and read. It's also a volume that is making me rethink Seven Seas as a publisher. They've been putting out some rather entertaining work lately, so this might be a sign that they could eventually become a bigger contender than they've been.

The good news is that despite the average manga reader having seen much of the book's dynamics before, this is a pretty fun read. Lizzie is your quintessential perky "buck against the system" heroine, but darn if she isn't one that I can't help but like. She's smart, she's snarky, and she could probably give Sherlock Holmes a run for his money. Lizzie is certainly giving the two male leads a good dose of grief, setting up what I feel will inevitably become one of those love triangles we see so often in manga. The mystery here isn't exactly as elaborate as the ones you'd see in the Kindaichi Chronicles, although that might be considered an appeal to some. One of the good and bad things about mysteries is that sometimes the plots get so elaborate that the amount of work needed for it just seems a little far fetched. The plot here still has a bit of spin but it's not nearly as stretched out as it could be.

The only big downfall of the manga is that I can see where it'd get fairly predictable after a while. I like the characters and so far the character dynamics are good, but the potential love triangle is a little too overly familiar and for some will be a little too traditional/cliche to really stand out.

Overall this is a pretty good mystery manga offering and it'd pair up nicely with the Young Miss Holmes series, if you're looking for a double dose of female Victorian sleuths.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lizzie Newton.

09/01/2012 page 99
52.0% "Hello potential love triangle!"