Tom's Reviews > Refugee

Refugee by Piers Anthony

Sep 01, 2012

did not like it

This is the first book in Piers Anthony’s Bio of a Space Tyrant. It details Hope Hubris the eventual Tyrant of Jupiter in his younger days.

Hope and his sister are exiled from their home world and travel through the solar system on their way to Jupiter. Along the way they encounter pirates, again and again, who unleash violent horror on the travelers, again and again. The basic storyline is that people who have power over others will perpetrate horrific torture, rape, and murder upon those they control, again and again.

I was a big Anthony fan as a young boy but I had couldn’t read this one all the way through even back then. It is extremely repetitive and gratuitously violent well past the stage of making a point. I eventually began to skim the repetitive scenes and managed to get to the end of the book although I was never tempted to pick up the second volume.

Perhaps as an adult I might find something more interesting in the book but I’m skeptical. I would not recommend this book to anyone.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Refugee.