Molly's Reviews > Our Band Could Be Your Life: Scenes from the American Indie Underground 1981-1991

Our Band Could Be Your Life by Michael Azerrad

Dec 19, 2008

Read from March 23 to May 04, 2010

I really like how this book is put together. The farther I got in reading it (it's arranged chronologically, but there's necessarily a lot of overlap between the chapters), the more I started to understand how it portrays an evolution in both sound and culture that took place in the '80s. It does a good job conveying that evolution, taking you through it. I think I took for granted how accessible all kinds of recordings and performances have been to me all my life without realizing there's a whole infrastructure to that, which didn't always exist and wasn't created easily.

Reading about some of the bands with whom I wasn't already familiar didn't always make me want to listen to their music (Big Black?)--the book definitely focuses on seminal artists, folks who really did something new to make their music and make it heard. I don't think the results are always palatable; it took outsiders to do what a lot of them did, which ultimately made it easier for anyone who has had a relatively easy time of it to make more digestible music building off of these forerunners' styles and sounds.

I feel like I'm coming away from this book with a much deeper understanding of what was happening musically in the first decade of my life and also of the contemporary music I listen to now and how it got that way.

I wish I had read it when I was ten or 12 years younger, though, when I was more impressionable, and it would have been a more exciting, mind-blowing read. Unfortunately, it didn't exist then.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Our Band Could Be Your Life.

Quotes Molly Liked

Michael Azerrad
“Rock'n'roll is a teenage sport, meant to be played by teenagers of all ages--they could be 15, 25 or 35. It all boils down to whether they've got the love in their hearts, that beautiful teenage spirit... -Calvin Johnson”
Michael Azerrad, Our Band Could Be Your Life: Scenes from the American Indie Underground 1981-1991

message 1: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris Herdt Sounds like an interesting book--I'll add it to my ever-growing list. I'm a big fan of Big Black--but it is understandably not everyone's cup of tea.