Richard Stuart's Reviews > Fulgrim

Fulgrim by Graham McNeill

Sep 01, 2012

bookshelves: 40k-horus-heresy
Read in August, 2012

This book accomplishes a lot. It is epic in its scope and torrid in its style. It is an account of weakness, seduction, and depravity. It gives context to a great many things that will lead to a great many more things more terrible than these...

Fulgrim is really a tragedy. While striving for perfection, he and his legion are struck low by a subtle evil unbeknownst to them. What bothers me is that Fulgrim didn't understand the idea that perfection is a 'concept' not a reality; it is an adjective not a noun. Striving for perfection is ultimately an attitude, and one that is worthy of engaging in as long as one realizes one's limitations and stays true to them. In other words, not all things are possible at all times and by all people, even Astartes. Fulgrim should have known he could not attain the Emperor's perfection, he could only achieve Fulgrim's perfection, and only he could decide what that was. This fundamental flaw in his logic was his downfall, for it was his obsession with perfection that drew him to the tempting malevolence of Chaos.

It is Fulgrim's enlightenment that proves his true self is blameless, that he is a victim of Chaos. And his fate in this book is a horror that even the Warmaster Horus is appalled by, which says a lot.

I read this book out of order; actually after I had read more than ten other Horus Heresy books. I don't recommend you do this. It is perfect as #5.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fulgrim.