Sue's Reviews > What Katy Did at School

What Katy Did at School by Susan Coolidge

Sep 01, 2012

bookshelves: fiction, teenage, read-2012, kindle
Read in August, 2012 — I own a copy

This is the sequel to 'What Katy Did', and features a year when Katy, now recovered from her long illness, goes to a boarding school for a year with her sister Clover. There they meet the fascinating and rather daring Rose Red, and find themselves involved in various scrapes.

There's very little about the education in the school, and a great deal about the girls and their various friendships. The author's biases come through rather clearly, seeing flirting with the boys' college next door as being decidedly unladylike, and causing Katy to form a society that considers itself above such things.

Some mildly amusing sections, and what seems now like very interesting American social history, since the book was first published in 1873, so was contemporary for about 140 years ago.

I had forgotten most of the anecdotes and very much enjoyed re-reading this classic on my Kindle. I'm not sure it would appeal to today's teenagers, but older children might like it, and it's certainly worth re-reading by those of us who remember it fondly from our own childhood.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Katy Did at School.