Laurie's Reviews > Feed

Feed by M.T. Anderson

Sep 07, 12

bookshelves: library-books, young-adult-recomended, dystopian, really-really-sad, stays-with-you-for-awhile
Read from September 01 to 06, 2012

To give five stars or to not give five stars...that is the question. Five stars is so certain, and just like the characters in Feed, I always find myself questioning myself? If you know what I mean?

Ending statements/sort of questions in question marks as if to hedge every thought is something the characters in Feed like to do. They also call each other "dude," add "and shit" to the ends of most of their sentences, and everything is like, totally like.

It was so annoying in the beginning, I almost didn't think I would get over it. Oh! You are commentating on the vernacular of today by using the supposed vernacular of the future! Clever! Five stars! NEXT.

If this is where Feed had ended, my interest would have ended with it.

It did not.

That is not to say what followed was original and fresh either. If you've seen Idiocracy, the brilliant play Wirehead, or countless others, then you will recognize this dystopian tale. The future will have us more dependent on corporations and technology, language and thought will be going extinct, etc. etc.

But it was done well. The progression of the plot was suspenseful and to be honest, creepy. When the main characters could "feel" people on their feed while they were sleeping? So freaky. I didn't touch my smartphone or Facebook for days. I started noticing how often people were talking about their "love" of corporations, as if they possessed some human like traits.

Of course Anderson's commentary was one of our current time, stretched into the future for exaggeration and thus satire. I think it worked. It got my jaded eyes open again after a long period of cynism and apathy towards my student's attitudes, and frankly my own.

But really, the relationship and development of Violet was just...heartbreaking. And realistic. And just so beautiful. I don't like admitting this, but when I put down the book after the last page, I cried and cried for a half an hour straight, not even really sure why.

The human development of Violet I feel was the magic spoonful of sugar that didn't make the medicine of the satire go down, but it did make it sing in my veins and my brain.

Above all, a book which I will think of for some time to come, and even go back to occasionally. Ok. Five stars. You win.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Feed.

09/01/2012 page 50
16.0% "This is a genius idea that is very adept at predicting the future. I just wish that it didn't try to be so...futurey?"
09/03/2012 page 96
31.0% "The commentary on public education/corporations involvement with the education system is haunting."
09/03/2012 page 127
41.0% "This book is making me terrified of the internet. So I had to come and tell the internet."

Annalisa I don't remember crying for Violet, but I was saddened for her and the loss she represented in our society. It was definitely well-done satire.