Tom's Reviews > A Spell for Chameleon

A Spell for Chameleon by Piers Anthony

Sep 01, 12

bookshelves: fantasy

This is the first in a series of fantasy novels by Piers Anthony set in the mythical world of Xanth where everyone has a magical power, except Bink.

When I read this as a teenage boy I loved the fantasy world Anthony created and the nature of Bink and his rival, Magician Trent.

The story begins with Bink ostracized by his village because he has no magical power and follows him on his quest to discover said power. He traverses the dangerous landscape of Xanth encountering a number of powerful foes and eventually arrives at the castle of Magician Humfrey.

As Bink continues his journey he learns much about himself, honor, integrity, and the nature of the world thanks to Trent and the woman Chameleon. Eventually a happy resolution is reached and all presumably will live happily ever after.

As I said, when a boy I truly enjoyed this book but it doesn’t hold up particularly well to an adult perspective. The characters are shallow with the notable exception of Trent and Iris. The fantasy world created by Anthony is interesting to a point but again, not particularly deep. I think this is a reasonably entertaining book for young boys but won’t be of a great deal of interest to an older audience.

Anthony clearly has misogynistic tendencies in his writing and as you read deeper into the series this becomes ever more apparent. As of September 1, 2012 there are 35 book in the series and Anthony has indicated he will continue to write them.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Spell for Chameleon.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Katy I remember really enjoying this book, too, when I first read it, which was when I was about 10. Of course, I really enjoyed the Tarzan books, too, when I was a kid, but when I went to re-read them when I was in my 20s I was like "whoa, wow, these are really racist, aren't they?" I think younger readers today would pick up on it, but I was raised in a very racist household, so I didn't even notice it until after I'd been away for awhile and learned a bit about the world.

message 2: by Tom (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tom

Completely agree. I don't think it's strange that our perspectives change as we grow older, just interesting. I'm glad you were able to overcome the racist environment of your childhood. It speaks well of your character! :)

Katy wrote: "I remember really enjoying this book, too, when I first read it, which was when I was about 10. Of course, I really enjoyed the Tarzan books, too, when I was a kid, but when I went to re-read them..."

Katy Tom wrote: "Completely agree. I don't think it's strange that our perspectives change as we grow older, just interesting. I'm glad you were able to overcome the racist environment of your childhood. It speaks ..."

Thanks! Of course, my family wouldn't agree... I've been "corrupted by the world" you see... *sighs and shakes head*