Jo at Jaffareadstoo's Reviews > The Vanishing Point

The Vanishing Point by Val McDermid

2090731
Sep 11, 12

Read from September 01 to 11, 2012

The story opens with child abduction at a US airport, it’s the stuff of nightmares for every parent, one minute your child is there, and then as powerless to help, you witness your child being taken away. The Vanishing Point starts off well, the idea of looking back to see how the story unfolds is interesting, and as we are introduced to the major characters, we are given glimmers into the twisted world of celebrity status. There is Scarlett Higgins, a TV reality star with an unsavoury past, and Stephanie Harker, the ghost writer, who when drafted in to write Scarlett’s autobiography as a letter to her then unborn child, takes on rather more than she bargained. Add together a handful of American FBI agents, mix together with English detectives, and this book should satisfy readers on both sides of the Atlantic.
Overall, I thought the book was a well written thriller, with enough twists and turns in the plot to keep the book ticking along nicely. The troubled past of the main protagonist is convincing, and as there are so many nuances of recent celebrity lives intertwined in the narrative, you find yourself wondering if something like this could ever have happened.
The least convincing part of this story, for me, was the ending of the book, which I found a bit improbable, but, this is fiction after all, and a few liberties are allowed to be taken.

My thanks to NetGalley and Grove Atlantic inc for a review copy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vanishing Point.