Max de Freitas's Reviews > Winter of the World

Winter of the World by Ken Follett

Sep 13, 12

Read from September 01 to 12, 2012

I read the first of this trilogy – Fall of Giants. It was excellent. Winter of the World continues in the same superlative fashion. The narrative is quick and absorbing. Through the eyes of interesting characters, you get a front row seat in the most memorable historical events that were really not that long ago. The first book took me inside the world my grandparents experienced. This one transported me into the events that shaped my parents. The book provides in-depth perspectives and describes how people actually felt at the time. There is a handy map of the world on the inside covers. It shows all the cities where events transpire. Ken Follett is a master storyteller. His books are extremely interesting and thoroughly enjoyable. I eagerly await the third in this series.
91 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winter of the World.

message 1: by Janet (new)

Janet The third in the series will be your generation, I assume: I am enjoying this series as well.

Daniel Gonçalves Interesting characters? They were all over the place and beahaved like 10 year olds.

message 3: by Max (new) - rated it 5 stars

Max de Freitas 10 year olds? Possibly. I suppose the Russian soldiers were rather naughty.

Daniel Gonçalves Max wrote: "10 year olds? Possibly. I suppose the Russian soldiers were rather naughty."

Hahaha, nice one ;)

Terri Mifek Engaging and informative as well as a reminder of the evil of systems no matter their original intent! If only we would really learn from history.

Ruthanne Davis Perhaps Daniel is too young to have experienced the hardships and injustice of any war; I hope no one ever has to again. But history repeats itself if we don't learn from past mistakes and Ken Follett makes it painfully clear in his trilogy. Great review! The last of the trilogy is out this month!

Nicole Beautiful review! I concur!