John's Reviews > Taboo #4

Taboo #4 by Stephen R. Bissette

Sep 01, 2012

Read in August, 2012

The great Taboo re-read continues with the best volume so far. This edition has a greater level of reprint material than the first three volumes, but don't worry: you probably didn't read the material before it appeared here and you likely haven't seen it since.

I'm not going to mention every piece in the book, but I'll call out the highlights. Taboo 4 opens with the excellent "Dreaming and the Law" by Phillip Hester, who does more in 2 pages than more can do in 20. Great piece, a bit rougher in style than Hester's later work, and all the better for it.

Charles Burns also gives us a short two-pager, less of a story than an anecdote. But it's cool stuff and leaves you with a real Burnsian vibe.

"Babycakes" by Neil Gaiman and Michael Zulli is perfectly done and taps into some really taboo territory (although it's nothing that wasn't done a few hundred years earlier by Jonathan Swift).

The best piece in the book is "Eyes of the Cat" by Moebius and Jodorowsky. I think I could write an entire essay on this exquisite piece of comics, but trust me, it's a stunner. Horrific and more than a little funny.

"Blue Angel" by Tim Lucas and Stephen Blue isn't so much a story as a fragment. It well drawn, but it showcases the problem with too many horror short stories: no room to breathe.

The Elaine Lee / Charles Vess reprints are just fantastic. Bissette's introduction sets up why the first of the two tales was so taboo when it first appeared just 8 years earlier.

Rick Grimes turns in some more utterly gonzo work. Moebius give us a fantastic cover. S. Clay Wilson does what he does best. And the rest stands up.

Great volume. Looking forward to continuing the re-read with book 5.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Taboo #4.

10/03/2016 marked as: read