Ashen's Reviews > Ascension

Ascension by Caris Roane

Sep 01, 2012

bookshelves: paranormal-fantasy, favorites

-WARNING- This review will be full of spoilers.

I really enjoyed Ascension. I liked Alison and Kerrick as a couple.
Both of them aren't too keen on having a relationship with someone at the start.
Alison, because when she's with someone it goes wrong. Like, really wrong.
(view spoiler)

And poor Kerrick has had such bad luck with his relationships too.
(view spoiler)

If a Warrior of the Blood is very, very lucky, he will find his woman to complete the breh-hedden with. The breh-hedden is basically when the guy finds his "true mate". It's very rare, and a lot of them believe it just to be a myth.
Alison is nearing her call to Ascension. This means that soon she'll become part of the world that have immortal vampire-like being like Kerrick is. She first meets Kerrick when a death vampire goes for her demanding her blood because she is powerful enough that he could use that to take control. When Kerrick saves her, Alison feels happy in the first time in ages because this is someone like her, someone who won't get hurt or freaked out by what she can do.
So starts Kerrick's and Alison's relationship. Alison's still slightly scared she'll hurt Kerrick with her power, and Kerrick doesn't want to get in a relationship after what happened the last two times.
Alison is very strong in her own way, but she's not a warrior and she makes this very clear to everyone when she is forced to fight.
(view spoiler)
I personally like this fact about her. Even if her enemy is someone everyone else hates, she refuses to kill him. It doesn't mean she's not a fighter, she's just strong in a different way. Because she's a therapist, she understand loss more than some other people.
I loved Thorne and the rest of the gang who are the Warriors of the Blood. They were all awesome. This would be how I see them:
[image error]
The Warriors of the Blood are there to protect everyone from the death vampires, who are vampires who seek to kill when they feed.
And then there is Leto. Poor, poor Leto.(view spoiler)
And we also have Marcus.
(view spoiler)
Overall, I loved this book. Although it is definitely unique, it does remind me slightly of the Black Dagger Brotherhood, so if you enjoyed that series you'll probably like this one. I look forward to reading the rest of this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ascension.