Mary Grace's Reviews > Rape Girl

4202510
Sep 01, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Read from August 19 to 21, 2012

When is someone considered a victim and when is someone considered the consenting party? Valerie is a teenage girl living a normal life until after the party with Adam. Valerie is a victim who does the right thing but ended up being condemned for being truthful.

Rape Girl tackles one of the most talked about issues in our society – when is an act considered rape? For me, rape is not JUST the act of being bounded and tacken without your permission. Rape is not about being taken by a stranger in a dark alley. Rape is ANY sexual act – regardless if you are in a relationship or even married – when a person doesn’t want to do the act and persistent in saying no. Rape is the act when someone takes another person in a sexual manner without their consent and as stated in the book a NO is a NO.

The title alone is bravely done by the author. Plain and simple – without any fancy name or anything. Rape Girl is about a girl being raped and that’s it. The writing was very easy to follow, it was straight to the point and it was smoothly portrayed. I was hesitant to read Rape Girl because the story was written and used numerous times but thank God I did because it was an amazing read. Actually amazing isn’t a good enough word to praise Rape Girl. I wasn’t even aware that it was only 126 pages. For a story with only 126 pages – Klein did a phenomenal job with Rape Girl.

This is one of those stories that has a heavy message but needs to be shared with everyone. This is a recommended read regardless the age of the reader (younger readers needs to understand the message that Klein is spreading, so parents don’t hesitate to give this to your children.) I love how realistic the approach Klein included in Rape Girl (SPOILER ALERT: Valeries’ case was dropped by the prosecutor because a lot of people testified that she was with Adam the night before without any hesitation), this does happen in real life which is why it is important for everyone to know that rape is seen in different angle.

With only 126 pages, there’s no excuse for anyone not to read this beautiful book. Rape Girl is such a compelling read I was astounded at how good it was written and genuine the message it shared. I guarantee you won’t regret reading this!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rape Girl.