Sarah's Reviews > The Troubled Man

The Troubled Man by Henning Mankell

F_50x66
Sep 01, 12

Read in August, 2012

I was recommended the Wallander series by a friend who shares my love of Nordic Noir TV and books.
This is the latest, and last, of the series and I wish I had read the other 10 first so I would have understood more the detective’s back story.
The novel centres around an episode during the 1980s and a controversial incident involving a Russian submarine in Swedish waters. Much of the novel concentrates on the political situation and espionage between America, Sweden and Russia in the 1980s and I must admit I found some of the historical and military detail quite dull.
Wallander himself was an interesting character and I enjoyed the details of his relationship with his daughter, grand-daughter and ex-wife. Before I realised that this was the last novel I did find him a bit morose and overly concerned with growing older but there was a good reason for that.
I can’t say this has been one of my favourite reads – probably more because of the subject matter than the writing - but I would read another Henning Mankell. However I do think it is probably better to start at the beginning! As an introduction to the Wallander series I don’t imagine this was the best place to start.
Read my full review at: http://www.onlinebookgroup.blogspot.c...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Troubled Man.