Agnes's Reviews > The Blue Notebook

The Blue Notebook by James A. Levine

Sep 01, 12

Read in August, 2012

I knew when I started to read this book that the subject matter would be disturbing, yet I was not prepared for the horror of what I read. Being sold into prostitution by your own parents is already unthinkable, at such a young age it is totally abhorrent. Yes I was shocked to the core of my being.

But then there was the beauty of how the girl deals with the life she was given, with the card she was dealt. The author describes this with such sensitivity and insight, in a lyrical way, yes putting himself in the shoes of this young girl. In my view this puts the book into a different category. Not only does it give insight into the exploitation and deplorable way young girls are sold into the sex slave business. It also shows the resilience of a human being, of the human mind, a mind that can escape the horror of her life by writing about it, by writing her story.

Though not a pleasant read it is an essential one. A novel that can expose gross injustice in such a way that people can take it on board, and hopefully act and help to eradicate this exploitation from the earth.

U.S. proceeds of this novel will be donated to the International and National centres for missing and exploited children. htt://www.icmec.org
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Blue Notebook.