Jenny's Reviews > The Art of Happiness

The Art of Happiness by Dalai Lama XIV

Dec 19, 08

Read in January, 1996

I first read this book as a freshman in high school but I've read it again at least twice. I'm not sure how it initially started but I've always been fascinated by the Dalai Lama of Tibet. The more I read about him, the more I'm in awe of him. While I recommend reading his biography first, this specific book is about the concept of happiness and how we attain it. It's not a self-help book but rather a book about how the Dalai Lama believes that people inheritantly have the ability to find happiness but we obstruct it with our immaterial and superficial beliefs. It made me realize how much society corrupts people's values. On a personal level, it made me re-evaluate my life and my values. I was also amazed at how much his beliefs correlate with Native American traditional beliefs. This is one of those few books that I find myself re-opening from time to time.
29 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of Happiness.

Comments (showing 1-5)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 5: by Claresa (new)

Claresa Awesome! I want to go buy me a copy after work now. I just got a 40% off coupon for a book from Borders, lol. Thanks for the review.

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Rueckert Really helpful comment, thank you! I've been trying to figure out if I was going to read his autobiography first or what was best but you answered it. I'll read this one next. :) Thanks!

Rachel

Doris Evans-McCarthy I'm a multi-time reader, as well. I became Buddhist in part because of the peace the Dalai Lama radiates. Though Cutler gets in the way at times, overall I gave this book five stars. I'm reading it again for the third or fourth time!

Karena I'm about 60pp in...to which Native American beliefs do you refer?

message 1: by Mj (new)

Mj Am curious which Dalai Lama biography or autobiography are you recommending be read before reading The Art of Happiness. Thanks for your review and input.