John Rivera's Reviews > The Meaning of Masonry

The Meaning of Masonry by W.L. Wilmshurst

Dec 25, 08

bookshelves: philosophy, religion
Read in December, 2008

This was quite a read that I attempted to read as carefully as possible but even then, I don't feel that I completely understand and appreciate what Wilmshurst was attempting to convey.

Nevertheless, this work has truly enlightened me to the true purpose of Freemasonry and my place as a Mason. It makes me wish that could repeat my degrees and understand them now that I am armed with such knowledge. Even while I feel a sense of lack, I am also filled with a sense of purpose that I need to better understand what I am apart of. There is apparently much to be learned and perhaps even some to be unlearned.

I was a little upset that Wilmshurst went back and forth on religious matters, some times stating that religious specifics were not important as all religious shared common goals and virtues and then only in the last ten or so pages in the last essay to state that only Christianity truly satisfies the needs that Masonry as a craft requires of it's members.

Perhaps the era in which he wrote blinded him somewhat to further religious enlightenment but in the end, I do understand that all the answers I'm seeking are only to be found within and this book is only another tool with which to help myself, it is not some sort of ultimate guide.

I do plan on re-reading this work periodically as I grow as a Master Mason.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Meaning of Masonry.