Arushi Bhaskar's Reviews > Great Expectations

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

Aug 31, 12

Read in January, 2009

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Great Expectations.

Quotes Arushi Liked

Charles Dickens
“In a word, I was too cowardly to do what I knew to be right, as I had been too cowardly to avoid doing what I knew to be wrong.”

Charles Dickens
“In the little world in which children have their existence, whosoever brings them up, there is nothing so finely perceived and so finely felt as injustice.”

Charles Dickens
“Heaven knows we need never be ashamed of our tears, for they are rain upon the blinding dust of earth, overlying our hard hearts. I was better after I had cried, than before--more sorry, more aware of my own ingratitude, more gentle.”

Charles Dickens
“Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day.”

Charles Dickens
“So, throughout life, our worst weaknesses and meannesses are usually committed for the sake of the people whom we most despise.”

Charles Dickens
“Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but - I hope - into a better shape.”

Charles Dickens
“Moths, and all sorts of ugly creatures, hover about a lighted candle. Can the candle help it?”

Charles Dickens
“Love her, love her, love her! If she favours you, love her. If she wounds you, love her. If she tears your heart to pieces – and as it gets older and stronger, it will tear deeper – love her, love her, love her!”

Charles Dickens
“I must be taken as I have been made. The success is not mine, the failure is not mine, but the two together make me.”

Charles Dickens
“Take nothing on its looks; take everything on evidence. There's no better rule.”

Charles Dickens
“Spring is the time of year when it is summer in the sun and winter in the shade.”

Charles Dickens
“I loved her against reason, against promise, against peace, against hope, against happiness, against all discouragement that could be.”
tags: love

Charles Dickens
“Life is made of so many partings welded together”

Charles Dickens
“I am what you designed me to be.I am your blade. You cannot now complain if you also feel the hurt”

Charles Dickens
“I stole her heart away and put ice in its place.”

Charles Dickens
“You are in every line I have ever read.”
tags: pip

Charles Dickens
“The broken heart. You think you will die, but you just keep living, day after day after terrible day.”